Friday, October 19, 2018

Cheap Grub for Tough Times





by MHM

19 October 2018


  In the 1970’s, I remember the awful sustenance we had in the cupboard for hurricane prep, which included Chicken a la King, Spaghetti-O’s, loaves of bread, dried kidney beans, uncooked macaroni, sea shells, spaghetti noodles, corned beef hash, crackers, deviled ham spread, and Vienna sausages. A cooler was filled with ice and frozen hamburger, which was eventually eaten with Hamburger Helper. We didn’t store water in plastic jugs, since we had ½ gallon cardboard-wax coated milk jugs, and the tub was cleaned and filled with water for emergency purposes. Even after Hurricane Eloise in 1975, we had power restored after three days.  
  Over the years, I’ve learned to stay away from dried beans and rice, and go with “instant” rice, dried mashed potatoes, and a whole range of canned goods that I enjoy eating. However, I have to watch what I eat, so no fatty foods like cheese nor those heavily laden with salt. There goes the Dinty Moore beef stew. I also have a stock of canned pinto beans, chili beans, and various soups, not to mention beefaroni and ravioli, large cans of Walmart brand soups, and Ramen noodles.
  While I had a two week stock of food on hand when I live out west, a recent move to Florida necessitated a big change in what I prepared. Items now include canned chicken, several plastic jugs of water (we have a local filtered water dispenser which dispenses a gallon for .35 cents a pop).  
  Based on my experiences in the Air Force, and surviving eating SAC in-flight meals (“bag nasties”), we were later issued MRE’s when I reached Germany in 1988 instead of the more vile C-Rats (one I ate in basic in 1980 was dated 1968). While early MRE’s were rather palatable, the current series is not very tasty in my humble opinion, rather costly at $9 (or more) a bag, and the TOTM’s (Tailored Operational Training Meal) taste even worse. I would exercise some caution in buying MRE’s on the open market, due to years old expiration dates.
  One of my fellow SAC warriors recently passed along the idea of making your own MRE’s. I took up his idea and headed to the local Walmart and Dollar Store, buying up a number of canned goods, crackers, candies, fruit cocktail, etc., and placing a selection of different items in 10”x10” plastic zip lock bags. Given the weight of some of these bags, you may wish to double bag them, or buy a heavy plastic from Home Depot or Lowe’s and package them yourself (not to mention vacuum sealing). Don’t forget to label them and note the expiration date of the canned goods, along with a P-38 can opener or a robust can opener (Walmart sells an American made one for about $8). For heating up some of these delectable items, I have a small camp stove and some heat tabs (they can also we made using cotton balls and wax). Additionally, for staying in place, we have a charcoal grill if the power goes out (along with aluminum foil). I’ve also used a small folding stove and candle to heat up a can of soup, not to mention propping it up against a flat stone near a camp fire.  
  Here’s a sampling of my home made “MRE’s”-

- Instant tea, coffee, etc., if desired.
- Turkey Spam is pretty tasty, but heavily laden with salt.


- Additional items- lighter, strike anywhere matches, TP.  


  As you can see, it’s up to you to modify your food list accordingly, and not just rely on tasteless dried foods that have been sitting up in the cupboard for a few years, or overpriced MRE's.


mhm
19 October 2018

Old School Survival (OSS) blog
















No comments:

Post a Comment